



# Tacoma Pierce County Coalition to End Homelessness

<https://pchomeless.org/> - [info@pchomeless.org](mailto:info@pchomeless.org)

Chat from the April 9<sup>th</sup>, 2021 Coalition to End Homelessness Friday Meeting

00:15:05 Gerrit Nyland: Welcome Laura!

00:16:04 Laurie Davenport: Welcome David!

00:16:11 Laurie Davenport: Hi John, welcome!

00:16:15 Laura Anderson: Good to be here :)

00:17:16 Gerald Daniels: Good morning everyone, sorry I'm still finishing another meeting, but I'm listening

00:30:21 Valeri Knight: Anchor Communities Initiative (ACI) has a new goal and new data to reach by October 2021. I will make sure the task force has that goal, and as we finalize the plan i will make sure you have it as well

00:31:08 Rob Huff - MDC (he/him): Awesome, Valeri!

00:32:02 Gerrit Nyland: Ad Hoc Committee website - <https://www.piercecountywa.gov/7219/Ad-Hoc-Committee-to-end-homelessness> - the central repository for all the information provided to the committee.

00:34:25 Theresa Power-Drutis: Thank you Gerrit, Courtney, and Maureen for representing the coalition in the county planning effort. Thank you too Klarissa! Appreciate the great report back and creative thinking.

00:39:11 Bryan Green: Can we also add talking about meeting back in person and what that might look like in the future?

00:40:34 Rob Huff - MDC (he/him): Yes, that is definitely part of what we all need to consider, Bryan!

00:41:02 Valeri Knight: This group is still too big for in person meetings at this time. Max currently is 10 people indoor and 50 outdoor and that is if we stay in Phase 3 and do not go back to phase 2.

00:41:39 Rob Huff - MDC (he/him): Yes, Valeri. I was thinking about whether we might be able to safely meet later in the year. Not anytime soon, for sure.

00:42:45 Bryan Green: Thanks! And yes, Valeri, Definitely want to keep guidelines into place. I guess I'm thinking long term and back to the meetings in 2019 and how beneficial those opportunities were for networking

00:42:51 Sherri Jensen: Rosemary, this is a beautiful representation of this group I'm so proud to be a part of. GREAT job!

00:45:18 Maureen Howard: I love the circle graphic

00:49:38 Jeffrey Boyce: Thank you Rosemary

00:51:10 Julian F. Wheeler,PC-ACACchair(he/his): "We built this city..." :-)

00:51:13 Laura Anderson: Need to step away to assist a client - be right back...

00:56:43 Bryan Green: Yes! Just had to leave the breakout as I have a meeting at 10

00:58:14 Valeri Knight: The coalition should maybe meet in person at a variety of locations to be more regionally accessible to folks :) just a thought as you are the TPC coalition

00:58:49 Bryan Green: I think hybrid meetings is where a lot of meetings are going and it's helpful especially for those who can't make it to the locations AND it creates accessibility for those with disabilities

01:03:00 Sherri Jensen: Group 11:  
What do we like about being here?

- Powerful Action
- o Really incredibly smart people in one room with brilliant ideas to spur true change
- Resource Presentations
- o Learning opportunities, what's in the community
- Networking Opportunities

What resources and processes do we need?



# Tacoma Pierce County Coalition to End Homelessness

<https://pchomeless.org/> - [info@pchomeless.org](mailto:info@pchomeless.org)

- MORE HOUSING
  - MORE money for housing
  - MORE shelter
  - In order to have a larger seat at the decision making table, governance, oversight, funding
- 01:03:09 Colin DeForrest: god I just lost all my notes!
- 01:03:50 Greg Walker: That excuse doesn't work in school, or here, Colin
- 01:03:52 Keith Helmka: What do you get out of the coalition meeting? (1) i like the updates about what is happening on the street, (2) I like the information that doesn't have a media spin on it – like nothing is going right, (3) Maybe I come here to gather hope sometimes, (4) Hear how something we are doing is impacting other people's work (hospitals, City of Tacoma)
- 01:04:21 Sheila Miraflor: Group 4- Q.1: Thankful that the Coalition has made progress towards being more organized and accessible to all Q.2: More representation from people with lived homelessness experience is needed.
- 01:04:59 Theresa Power-Drutis: Love the graphic - thanks Rosemary and Laurie
- 01:05:01 Mandie Dean: Cataloging resources and things that we offer, listserv was mentioned, more in depth catalog wanted. Bylaws were mentioned, in person vs online meeting going forward, since there are benefits to both methods of meeting, more bylaw discussion, can affect more local change if there is a more accountable structure in place. also a starting point for people to really understand what we do and how we do it, purpose, etc..
- 01:06:22 Mandie Dean: I gotta go guys, happy I was here for the governance discussion <3 happy Friday all
- 01:06:51 Jeffrey Boyce: Rm 7: Getting good trusted information, one stop shop for information, Ability to have breakouts where quiet people get a voice, Everybody has a story.
- 01:06:52 Colin DeForrest: Group 10 very powerful group. been involved for years and never have seen the cohesion we have now. zoom meetings have actually made the meetings more accessible for many. Easier for people from small agencies to attend. Coalition has done a really good job of getting new groups to the table - including medical groups and many others.
- 01:10:27 Laurie Davenport: Group 1 -
- 01:10:54 Sheila Miraflor: Maureen- how can we put more funds towards vehicle repair, licensing? There are a number of people whose financial scenarios could potentially be positively impacted by having working vehicles, re-instated licenses and insurance
- 01:11:45 Greg Walker: What's the approximate total of what's on the list vs what we anticipate for funds coming in?
- 01:11:50 Kristin Ely: Can you talk a little bit about the specific type of programming for Street Medics?
- 01:12:08 janne hutchins: Still want to se funds for services such as showers and laundry
- 01:13:09 Laurie Davenport: Sorry Group 1 - Question 1, networking with the community, learning about resources so we can hold hands to achieve best community outcomes, information, breakout sessions, everyone has a passion to serve. Being able to learn about what's going on in the community, connecting with different people. The biggest thing is that everybody's here because they have a passion for helping people. The weak connections — things you wouldn't normally intersect with - expanding our knowledge and power. Question 2 — we need a one-stop shop website we can visit any time to tell us how we can serve the best and find information and connection outside the meetings. Need to figure out how to sustain the ambiguity — maintain the tension between loose and structured — maintain the power that comes from a lot of different people who don't necessarily agree or like each other, working for the same goal.
- 01:13:20 Kristin Ely: Thank you for the details!



# Tacoma Pierce County Coalition to End Homelessness

<https://pchomeless.org/> - [info@pchomeless.org](mailto:info@pchomeless.org)

01:13:38 Rosalind Wallace Brown: I need to leave to assist a client. Have a good weekend everyone!

01:13:45 Rosemary Powers: group 8 opportunity for sharing resources and inviting others to join in other projects, advocacy opportunities are empowering, as gov't worker with past work as service provider appreciate keeping updated on what is happening in real life, and this is an organizer's dream—access to 600+ folks for action opportunities is great. For needs, the coalition as network of providers now having many non agency folks interested in specific action requires some response—to help people see where best to connect, needs for orientation/training to help newer folks understand the breadth of experience around responses to homelessness.

01:14:24 Dana Peregrine: Value = the connectivity, the learning about other agencies as well as what is happening... advocacy updates... the broad base of representation... getting energized again, the positive and passionate energy of the group is contagious and energizing. The current format, compared to when meeting at Salvation Army, does not have as much practical value. Don't hear as much about community resources available (as in subcommittee meetings that used to meet before full group) and how to engage with services in a practical way. Virtual way to engage in meeting is valuable and hope that the option to participate via zoom will still be available in the future. Resources = would like to have in advance any questions being asked to respond to so can prepare (our group had only a minute to respond to this second question... is there a visual timer for each breakout group available on zoom?)

01:15:27 Janet Runbeck: Room #5. Q #1 = Value is in learning about resources. Political updates. Like minded folks, meeting in person, seeing who does what. Re-charges enthusiasm, especially since so many are involved. Maureen's policy advocacy work is outstanding. Q#2 = encourage more who are currently living to attend.

01:16:22 Rob Huff - MDC (he/him): Dana, I saw your question about a countdown timer in breakout rooms. I am not aware of how to display a running timer, but I can look into it. There is the countdown for the last 60 seconds before rooms close.

01:16:58 Theresa Power-Drutis: Amazing research and organization Maureen - that list is very specific and ambitious. Especially appreciate the section on small non-profits. Go bold or go home! Al and Mike -great suggestions related to this section.

01:17:12 Dana Peregrine: Thank you Rob.

01:17:56 Jeffrey Boyce: Rm 7 supplemental: The Zoom meetings has dropped many silos within Pierce County among agencies, government agencies, and faith communities in supporting the homeless people.

01:18:29 Paula Anderson: Thank you Maureen!

01:19:23 Greg Walker: Second Collin's comments!

01:19:27 Abril Mitchell-Ward: thank you so much @greg walker and yes many new to the coalition dont know. thank you

01:20:35 Rob Huff - MDC (he/him): One note, so that folks are aware. Marc Dones uses They/Them pronouns.

01:21:45 RoxAnne Simon: Group 12: We didn't answer question #1. We did talk about how long people have been attending. Anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 years, so that says something...

## #2 Centering equity non-negotiable- common language

- people who have time/bandwith tend to be privileged-not those struggling daily-not people most impacted

- Strong equity focus internally

- Equity Officer

01:22:55 John Davey: Thanks for having me, it was great to connect with you all!



# Tacoma Pierce County Coalition to End Homelessness

<https://pchomeless.org/> - [info@pchomeless.org](mailto:info@pchomeless.org)

01:24:10 Gerald Daniels: Thanks everyone, got go, have a safe and blessed weekend.

01:27:22 Paula Anderson: I agree with Greg

01:27:58 Sheila Miraflor: Maureen- the last point re: "should lead to permanent housing". Is it then implied that the Safe Sites are NOT intended to be permanent; or does the non-permanency need to be directly stated? Just looking for clarification; thanks!

01:28:19 stephanie schermerhorn: Is there a way to include the size we think a safe site should not exceed?

01:29:32 Theresa Power-Drutis: Could we say "less than 50"

01:30:27 Laurie Davenport: Thanks for coming John!

01:31:07 Jeffrey Boyce: I agree with Theresa that a max that we can agree with is appropriate

01:31:19 Greg Walker: The clarification that this is a broader statement of what we support is helpful.

01:31:29 Janet Runbeck: I move we pass the letter as is. Other letters can follow. We can suggest evidence based operational model in subsequent letters.

01:31:56 stephanie schermerhorn: I like that idea!

01:32:12 Verna Lilly: I have to go, but I support the letter as is

01:32:17 Greg Walker: Agree with what Rob is saying now, that we include a para on benefits of smaller, and stating that benefits will determine the #

01:32:20 Paula Anderson: Gold star for Rob!

01:32:31 Theresa Power-Drutis: Yes

01:33:03 Julian F. Wheeler,PC-ACACchair(he/his): Be alliterative.

01:33:31 Greg Walker: If we have it out there as an advocacy tool, we can point to it when we state that a 100 person site isn't conforming to best practice

01:34:03 Greg Walker: Are we amending for adding benefits?

01:34:57 Theresa Power-Drutis: Nice going!

01:35:05 Laurie Davenport: Great work on this.

01:39:12 TIEGAN TIDBALL: Study Session Video:  
[https://cityoftacoma.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view\\_id=4&clip\\_id=4679](https://cityoftacoma.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=4&clip_id=4679)

01:39:41 Rob Huff - MDC (he/him): Thank you again, Tiegan!

01:41:06 Sheila Miraflor: Valeri- any update on when mortgage assistance portal will open?

01:43:07 Jeffrey Boyce: I will be shifting to phone, We are heading to a long wknd in Cannon Beach. I will be on the meeting for Safe Parking Network on Monday.

01:43:43 Rob Huff - MDC (he/him): Thank you, Jeffrey! Enjoy Cannon Beach!

01:45:17 Reanna Bettencourt: <https://www.tpchd.org/healthy-people/diseases/covid-19/covid-19-vaccine-information>

01:47:41 Reanna Bettencourt: [rbettencourt@tpchd.org](mailto:rbettencourt@tpchd.org)

01:47:55 Gerrit Nyland: In addition to Pierce Transit, other free transportation options to vaccines or testing are listed at <https://www.findaride.org/covid>

01:50:16 Kevin Glackin-Coley: [kglackincoley@pchomeless.org](mailto:kglackincoley@pchomeless.org) for those who don't have my email address yet.

01:53:26 Kevin Glackin-Coley: I am happy to help with drafting the letter

01:53:38 RoxAnne Simon: [roxanne.simon@gmail.com](mailto:roxanne.simon@gmail.com)

01:55:03 Kevin Glackin-Coley: Without amendments even!

01:55:40 Laurie Davenport: Eviction moratorium ends June 30

01:58:49 Reanna Bettencourt: I have to hop off. Have a great weekend everyone!

01:58:58 Rob Huff - MDC (he/him): Thank you, Reanna!

02:00:30 CC Mendoza: Happy weekend all!



# Tacoma Pierce County Coalition to End Homelessness

<https://pchomeless.org/> - [info@pchomeless.org](mailto:info@pchomeless.org)

02:01:28 Rob Huff - MDC (he/him): Happy weekend, CC!  
02:02:01 Kristina Lamb: Can you state the RWAC # again  
02:04:19 Kevin Glackin-Coley: Tiegan - technology is our friend except when it isn't.  
02:05:52 Greg Walker: Can we get copies of this slide show?

This is the first time I've been able to see a full breakdown of City expenditures like this. I'd like to learn more...

02:05:53 Rob Huff - MDC (he/him): That is the danger of sales tax...  
02:07:16 Maureen Howard: Can't the loss of revenue be made up from the ARAP Relief fund going directly to cities and counties? Tacoma will receive about \$31M on May 10. And an equal amount in a year.  
02:07:28 Julian F. Wheeler,PC-ACACchair(he/his): In case of connectivity issues before adjournment, I'm placing this announcement here: Let's commit together to make Pierce County more accessible for everyone, including, but not limited to, people with disabilities. And not only for PWD's as customers and constituents, but also as potential leaders, managers, department heads, and even elected officials. All are invited to our next regular session of the Pierce County Accessible Communities Advisory Committee (PC-ACAC) is on-line on Tuesday, May 11th, at 9 am. Email your interest to attend to [Julianfwheeler@aol.com](mailto:Julianfwheeler@aol.com). We operate under the Accessible Communities Act of 2010, and can help fund accessibility projects. We are looking for new members and new ideas. Thank you for having me as a guest.  
02:08:18 Kevin Glackin-Coley: Thanks Julianj.  
02:09:59 Paula Anderson: Was transportation addressed somewhere in the slides....huge issue for those getting treatment and maintaining treatment services  
02:11:26 Maureen Howard: One of the requests I've heard was for housing to fill the gap between a treatment date and today.  
02:12:40 Michael Yoder: Jumping off for another meeting. Have a great weekend everyone  
02:12:43 Greg Walker: I realize the intent is to focus on 1/10% sales tax, but it would be helpful to see a complete picture of all expenditures for these categories as well as what and how the various funding sources are being distributed against that budget. It's hard to comment on one funding source without seeing the full picture.  
02:13:48 Maureen Howard: Re Greg - I agree. It's hard to sort out the programs and funding sources - in the City budget, they are by line item number not named source.  
02:15:31 Maureen Howard: Tiegan - thanks for adaptability...  
02:16:07 TIEGAN TIDBALL: I appreciate the initial feedback. It's a big topic.